How many times have you ever wanted to go back and change a poor decision you made? Well, I know I have many times in my life. If only there was a time machine that could send me back to the past so that I could redo all of those ill-informed decisions I made! But, of course, that only happens in the movies so I am left with trying to figure out what to do with the aftermath of those decisions.
I love what the British writer C.S. Lewis once said, “You can’t go back and change the beginning, but you can start where you are and change the ending.” It is so true that even though you can’t change what has already happened, you do have the ability to make better decisions today that will influence your life in a positive way in the future.
If you have experienced one or multiple abortions in your past and feel regret and guilt over it, you are not alone. Even though you can’t go back and change what has happened, you can make decisions today, including finding abortion recovery support, to influence how you feel about yourself tomorrow.
If you are not sure whether you should seek abortion recovery support or not, here are some questions to consider:
- Do anniversary dates of the abortion or pregnancy due date cause sadness, depression, or crying episodes?
- If the abortion(s) happened many years ago, do you still feel uncomfortable emotions when thinking about the abortion experience?
- When the topic of abortion is brought up in conversation, do you you feel strong emotions or are uncomfortable talking about it?
- Have you been experiencing nightmares or flashbacks associated with the abortion experience?
- When you see a pregnant woman and/or a child, do you feel uncomfortable around them or does it cause you to feel a sense of loss?
- Does guilt, regret, and/or shame plague you regarding your past abortion(s)?
- Have you withdrawn from people or activities you once enjoyed?
- Do you avoid baby showers or gender reveal parties because it is a reminder of the abortion?
If you answered “yes” to any of the above questions, then you may be experiencing post abortion stress (PAS) and it may be helpful to pursue abortion recovery support. At Restore After Abortion, we can help you navigate through your experience in a nonjudgmental, confidential, and compassionate environment so you can feel whole again. We have both individual and small group support available. Call or text us today at 630-599-0043. We are here for you.